We at RF&G Life Insurance encourage all Belizeans to consider donating blood if you are willing and able. The World Health Organization promotes the World Blood Donor Day annually and this year we are participating and supporting the efforts. Some of the key points about World Blood Donor Day include the following:
- Transfusions of blood and blood products save millions of lives every year.
- Health is a human right; everyone in the world should have access to safe blood transfusions, when and where they need them.
- Regular blood donations are needed all over the world to ensure individuals and communities have access to safe and quality-assured blood and blood products.
- Everyone who can donate blood should consider making regular voluntary, unpaid donations, so that all countries have adequate blood supplies.
- Ensuring the safety and well-being of blood donors is critical; it helps build commitment to regular donations.
- Access to safe blood and blood product is essential for universal health coverage and a key component of effective health systems.
Blood and blood products are essential to care for:
- Women with pregnancy and childbirth associated bleeding.
- Children with severe anemia due to malaria and malnutrition.
- Patients with blood and bone marrow disorders, inherited disorders of hemoglobin and immune deficiency conditions.
- People with traumatic injuries in emergencies, disasters, and accidents.
- Patients undergoing advanced medical and surgical procedures.
We all can do our part by supporting blood donation throughout the year. We urge you to visit your nearest health facility to see how you can donate.