Increasing your longevity and quality of life
Cancer diagnosis and deaths are increasing across the world and in Belize. In Belize, cancer deaths make up 12% of total deaths. There were 358 total cancer cases and 201 deaths reported a few years ago. The thought is that there are many undiagnosed cases across the country. The most common cancers in Belizean women include breast, cervical, lung, and colorectal. In Belizean men, prostate, liver, lung, and colorectal are the most common cancers. Citizens of Belize should pay attention to ways to prevent cancer as to improve their overall quality of life and time on this earth. Cancer is not a pretty sight and it is not easy on the patient and family.
Early detection along with positive lifestyle behaviors can help reduce the risk of cancers. In our previous posts, we shared some of these lifestyle habits, now we are going to make them cancer specific with these tips to prevent cancer!
- Regular medical check-ups and appropriate healthcare
- Get vaccinated
- Drink plenty of water and be mindful of the calories that you drink
- Eat local, learn new recipes, and make smart choices eating out
- Be physically active greater than 150 minutes per week
- Protect yourself from too much exposure to sunlight
- Avoid or moderate use of alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs
- Be mindful of the chemicals you are around and use
- Avoid risky behaviors – safe sexual practices and not sharing needles
It is important to practice these behaviors throughout the lifespan. Know your insurance plan benefit for cancer screenings, call us with any questions. Have a conversation with your healthcare provider about cancer screening tests and ways to prevent cancer especially if you have a family history.
It is up to you to take charge of your health and do your best to improve your quality of life and longevity by being aware and interested in preventing cancer and other life shortening diseases.